Wednesday, November 04, 2009

 

Bike Across the USA – Symmetry

Vidalia GA to Tybee Island GA 99.62 miles – 2225 ft climbing

My anxiousness started last evening. I got to be bed shortly after 6pm and woke at 3:30 am. Getting through the early morning ritual for the last time put a smile on my face, as Karen was apt to remind me through her photos.

A pre dawn departure worked out well again since I was able to ride the side streets of Lyons, GA until sunrise, where I hit the state route.

The US route was quite a bit busier that any stretch I rode in Georgia, but the traffic was manageable. I did make a tactical exit onto the grassy shoulder whenever a truck was passing from behind and traffic was approaching ahead. This lasted for about 20 miles. Then the traffic reverted to state highway conditions – which means a whole lot less traffic, but still your typical percentage of 3% imbeciles. Spot the looney was truly the rule for the day.

Once I got to the suburbs of Savannah, I spotted the familiar signs of bike tours. This made be feel a whole lot more relaxed.

Breathing a sigh of relief that the worst was over, I eased my way over the next 20 miles through downtown Savannah and out past the inland waterway to Tybee Island.

Little did I know at that time that the worst was just beginning. The terror of the last 10 miles with narrow lanes and a**hole drivers made for an challenging final hour of the trek.I swear a good 10% of all drivers were mentally impaired.

Once the ocean came into view, my heart leapt with triumph and joy in realization that my dream of over 33 year was finally being realized.

With a final ceremonial dipping of the front tire (and right foot for Karen’s solo drive cross country), the cross country odyssey came to a conclusion.

All that was left was to lift my bicycle in celebration before mounting in on the car for a short drive back to Savannah for a celebratory toast of Champaign. As a footnote, Georgia goes down in the record book as the only state that I did not get a flat tire.

I received calls of congratulations from Julie and Rodney shortly thereafter. I cannot express enough thanks for the support from both of them throughout this trip.

This adventure could not have been possible without the love and support of Karen, who endured the trials and tribulations with me.

I also wish to acknowledge the blog comments of encouragement from Matthew, Katie, Eric, Linda, Susan and Diane. And finally the phone calls from Matthew and brother Bob and emails from nephew Bob, sister Debi, mom Maryann and cousin Colette.

Oh, and Matthew's Boomhauer comment takes the cake! I laugh every time I think about it.


Comments:
Congratulations Russ! An amazing accomplishment! I'm so glad you and Karen made it safely! I've really enjoyed following your progress here the last month. The writing and pictures have been great, a real pleasure to sit back with at the end of each day. What an adventure!

So what's next? My eight year old thinks you should go around the world! :)
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?