Friday, October 16, 2009
Bike Across the USA – Animals That Begin With 'L' for 400, Alex
Amarillo TX to Pampa TX – 67.76 miles – 954 ft climbing
Today ended up the same as it started out – replacing tubes. When I was preparing for my ride today, I discovered that I had a slow leak in the rear wheel of the Scattante. This is the bicycle that I have been riding since Las Vegas. So I actually did have a puncture, but it didn’t go flat until today. I also had a slow leaker in the Co-Motion which I haven’t gotten around to fixing until today since I have not had the time with the completion of two century rides over this period.
All in all I lost 4 tubes today, but none on the road:
- The Co-Motion front tube had a metal wire from a truck tire – probably from the Rio Rancho to Santa Fe stage. I did pump it up and rode the entire Santa Fe to Las Vegas stage, though.
- The Scattante rear tube had a tiny stone shard from the macadamized road, probably the last half mile before the hotel last night
- When replacing the Co-Motion tube I inserted the slime guard puncture protector. For some reason, I repeated the same error and pinched the tube when seating the liner properly. Getting that liner in place is trickier that the instructions lead you to believe – or I am just a klutz.
- When checking air in the Scattante rear tube, the presta valve just snapped in half, rendering the tube useless. This is the first time I have ever experienced such a bazaar failure. It occurred while pumping some air into the tire, and it just snapped.
Karen purchased 7 new tubes for the Scattante today since I was running low – only 4 spares left.
Due to my hasty tube repair this morning, I was a bit apprehensive about traveling on the same macadamized surface for the first mile today. I ducked in and out of parking lots to minimize the risk and it paid off with no road repairs today. I don’t mind the repairs in the motel where there is no wind howling or trucks blowing by.
Other than the terrain, the contrast between the ride yesterday and the ride today was striking. The sparseness of vehicles yesterday on the frontage roads allowed me to find the sweet spot on the road surface. Today, with a divided highway and vehicles buzzing by at 75 mph, I had a more difficult time staying in the smoothest part of the road. At least I avoided the shoulder which was the macadamized crap for over 35 miles. Thank goodness.
Yesterday, my main concern was rolling over the locusts strolling around on the roadway, taking flight and frequently bouncing off my legs. Today it was the wind in my eyes and drying them out to the point where I tried keeping my right eye closed to mitigate the sting. I did stop a couple times to put in drops as well.
My ride through Amarillo featured several miles of bike trail which really was a glorified sidewalk, but at least I did avoid some intersections during rush hour. It seems like every town these day has their version of the Chicago Cows on Parade Art Exhibit.
Much of the ride on the city streets was on bricks, which although not very smooth, it was unlikely I would get a flat on them.
The odor in the air definitely has an industrial stench to it on occasions just outside Amarillo.
However, there was also agriculture – along with real horses and llamas. The llamas appeared more curious about me than I was regarding them.
-Boomhauer
<< Home

Post a Comment