Saturday, September 02, 2006
Geneva Lake Shore Walk

Karen and I took a mini vacation break up to Wisconsin for our 33rd anniversary. We decided to tackle the 21 mile Geneva Lake Shore Walk. First, we ate breakfast and stopped in the local drug store to purshase a copy of the Walk, Talk, & Gawk brouchure guide. We then set out about 10am. I took my gps unit, so I can easily verify that it is at least 21 miles in length, probably a bit longer (maybe a quarter mile). It took 9:17 hours averaging around 2.3 mph. According to my gps we climbed almost 6700 feet during the walk.
Contrary to all the recommendations in the brochures, it is best to start in Lake Geneva and hike counter-clockwise, since most of the really interesting stuff is in the earlier part of the hike. This allows you to do plenty of gawking and keep you rested at the beginning. The southeastern portion is by far the least appealing, starting with the mandatory detour through a golf course, and subdivision and shortly thereafter a stretch along the highway. Since we caught this part near sunset, it made for a more enjoyable trek along the pavement. Here are some pictures. I tried out the geotagging feature of TopoFusion and after some tweaking, came up with this geotagged photo map.
Now, since we have previously hiked around Williams bay and the eastern shore, there are no geotagged photos of those stretches. That will have to wait for a later time.
Post a Comment