Wednesday, September 13, 2006
10 Ways to avoid getting hit by a car while riding a bicycle in traffic
I rarely feel compelled to comment on an article. However, this one here really sparked a panoply of emotions: Want to be hit by a car while riding a bicycle? Wear a helmet! Having had a near death experience after getting bug splatted on a (allegedly) reckless teenagers SUV, I can testify to the fact that a bike helmet saved my life. This article reports on research conducted. The findings are so full of crap that I read it dumbfounded. I am also a university professor that knows a bit about research methodology, so drawing a conclusion regarding just one obtuse variable smacks me of the same shrill extremist rhetoric that spews for the mouth of most cable new talking heads. Actually, I first read about the research at the BBC news site and so discounted it completely by considering the source. When coming across it for the second time, this linked site provided comments that were far more interesting than the article itself.
First the major thesis of the research - appearing clueless while riding a bicycle causes cars to give you a wider berth while passing. D'oh! Why didn't I think of that! The margin is a whopping 8.5 cm greater. So picture using a regular sized cigarette as a measuring stick and adding that the the margin of safety. Big deal. I'd much rather have the helmet. Now for my top ten rules. By the way, some of these rules will likely be illegal in many states, so I pity you if you actually get hit by a car, because cyclists are really a discriminated minority in most places in this country. However, as a minority, I am more interested in protecting my life first.
There is one underlying principal for all rules here - first and foremost, cooperate with traffic! My credo when driving a vehicle has always been, the greatest good for the greatest number. Translation: keep traffic flowing.
First the major thesis of the research - appearing clueless while riding a bicycle causes cars to give you a wider berth while passing. D'oh! Why didn't I think of that! The margin is a whopping 8.5 cm greater. So picture using a regular sized cigarette as a measuring stick and adding that the the margin of safety. Big deal. I'd much rather have the helmet. Now for my top ten rules. By the way, some of these rules will likely be illegal in many states, so I pity you if you actually get hit by a car, because cyclists are really a discriminated minority in most places in this country. However, as a minority, I am more interested in protecting my life first.
There is one underlying principal for all rules here - first and foremost, cooperate with traffic! My credo when driving a vehicle has always been, the greatest good for the greatest number. Translation: keep traffic flowing.
- Use a mirror. I use one mounted to my glasses and it functions just like having a combination of a side view and rearview car mirror. If you are going to ride in traffic then behave as if you are in a vehicle. Know where the traffic is at all times.
- Let vehicles know you are aware of their presence. Now that you know where they are, let them know that you know this. A hand wave or nod of the head usually works for me. The hand wave especially works for vehicles approaching from behind. At other time s I play 'traffic cop' by waving them to pass or cross ahead of me. It amuses me that almost all drivers are dumbfounded when a cyclist behaves like another vehicle. For some reason the general attitude is that the rider is some clueless kid who does not know how to ride a bicycle, much less drive a car.
Ride on the safest part of the road. This can run afoul with the interpretation of the rules of the road in some states, so take it with a grain of salt. Normally the safest part is along the right edge of the road. Better yet, on a paved shoulder if one is present. If the road is in bad condition, the take the line that avoids the most bumps and potholes. Being from snowbelt country, this means the winter weather can really wreak havoc on roads. On top of that, there is a nasty habit of using tar sealer that is dripped/poured into the cracks which make it treacherous for a road bike tire to ride. I try to avoid those streets like the plague. On 4 lane roads this is not as big of a deal since most drivers will mover over into the left lane to avoid you completely. One word of caution in such cases: when traffic picks up (as it will when a cluster of cars has been held back from a stop light), be on the lookout for that one driver that DOESN'T change lanes and instead looks at this as an opportunity to race past them all an terrorize you at the same time by going 20+ mph over the speed limit. Depending on how wide the lanes are, it may be necesary to take the full lane and prevent these antics (and protect your life). However, each circumstance is different. As long as the drivers pass you at a reasonable speed and the lanes are wide enough, not keeping as far to the right as possible is not only dumb, it is rude.
Take appropriate actions at intersections. This is some more dicey advice. Since I live in an urban area, congestion at intersections can get rather intense. My first rule of thumb is to time the approach to the intersection to catch the green light. However with a long line of waiting cars, this is not always possible, especially if the lane is rather narrow. This tends to happen at these intersections since a left turn lane is stuck there. Cars have no qualms about squeezing past you, but heaven forbid that you should do the same when trying to get up to a light before it changes. In such cases, I work my way up to the light rather than sit far enough back that it is unlikely that I will make the light. In parts of the U.S. and in other countries, this is quite normal. When cycling in London, I was pleased to find a reserved area at the head of the pack just for cyclists. However, in my home town area, nothing will piss of the driver two or three cars back more than not making the light because the car in front of him refuses to pass you. To even the score, I prefer to give the cars a wide berth through the intersection by going slowly and making sure the cars that I may have passed up. The key here is to avoid that narrow squeeze on the other side of the intersection. So unless you are a jackrabbit, it is best to hang back. I try to never require a vehicle to have to pass me twice.
Plan your route carefully. In an urban area, finding a safe route can be challenging. But I also find it to be quite entertaining by providing diversity of routes that would not be as varied in a rural setting with far fewer roads. My routes vary from 25 to 100 miles, with a typical urban route at the lower end of 50 miles an under. Any more than that and I have made it to some rural routes. It is a like a puzzle at times to navigate around the natural and man-made barriers, such as rivers, expressways, and railroad tracks. Avoiding major roads in these circumstances can be difficult because there are far fewer opportunities to cross these barriers. I have also found out the hard way, that what may seem to be a safe route bypassing a major highway can be even more treacherous. I have had close encounters such as vehicles racing at expressway speeds on a service road behind a shopping center, vehicles pulling out of driveways and parking lots without looking, or even the occasional cyclist hater that tries to run you off the road for no fault of your own.- Have an exit strategy. By this I mean you should have a 'Plan B' to handle any contingency of irrational vehicles (or pedestrians for that matter). Ditching you bicycle by going off the road to avoid being swiped by a passing car or truck is far preferable to the alternative. I found myself making a sharp turn onto a side street in order to avoid a car blowing through an intersection on more than one occaision. Just a word on preparedness for the unthinkable. If that collision is inevitable, know how to protect yourself. The safety guide I received from one organization recommends that balling up and rolling out of a collision can protect you from internal injuries in high speed collisions. In lower speed collisions pulling in and protecting extremities rather than to natural impulse to push away can save you from serious ligament or similar damage. Weight the risks in each situation. That alone will make you pay heed to some of the other rules above more carefully.
- Smile, be polite. You will never win an argument with a vehicle. Road rage by drivers against cyclists if all too common for my liking. Even if they cut you off or pass too close, let it go. You are riding for recreation and health, so enjoy it and let the driver pay her penance at the gas pump.
- Right-size your riding companion group. I often ride alone, but prefer to ride with a partner. On my routes I can usually find someone along the route for part of the time to share the ride with as long as I am willing the pick up and slow my pace to match. I find a group of up to 4 riders a comfortable number. More than that and I feel like I am back in traffic. Now, cycling clubs go in packs of 20 or more and that just isn't my style. All too often, I found myself trying to dodge a jerk. You know the type, they give all cyclists a bad reputation. Long, slow distance is my preference and most road cyclists like to really crank it up into the 22+ mph range. Far more that I feel comfortable at.
Get off the road whenever feasible. There are often stretches of paved bike routes in sufficiently well kept condition that I like to build into my routes. The unfortunate thing about most of these is that they usually parallel a busy highway, so it is not only noisy, but also burdened with curb cutouts. So in most cases these are just asphalt covered glorified sidewalks. Nevertheless, there are some with long enough breaks between side streets to make the a viable alternative. As a general rule I never go more than 15 mph on any paths even if there is no posted speed limit since you are more likely to encounter clueless pedestrians or the casual cyclist. After all, they have just as much right to be there, so you should cooperate with them also. On a slightly similar vein. I find myseld occaisionally pulling off a narrow two lane road where cars behind me are backing up because it is not safe to pass. GIve them a break, let them pass without worrying you. It is best to avoid unnecessarily buidling up the frustration in some of those drivers.- Maintain you bicycle. Sometimes I think I just added this to make is a nice round 10. Since it does not involve actually riding, the maintenance of your bicycle can be easy to overlook. This is less likely the case for those with more expensive road bicycles, since preventative maintenance can save big buck down the line. Replacing cables and chains is relatively inexpensive. Nothing gives me a better sense of security that a good set of tires and responsive brakes. Clean shifting is not far behind. I recall being on a rental bike in Washington DC that would hold the gear for more than 11 crank revolutions at a time. That was a real nightmare when climbing hills.
Post a Comment